The Church of Pentecost, like most great institutions, started in a small way. The Church’s beginnings are linked to the ministry of Pastor James McKeown (1900-1989), an Irish missionary sent by the Apostolic Church, Bradford, UK to the then Gold Coast (now Ghana) in 1937 to help a group of believers of the Apostolic Faith led by one Peter Newman Anim in a town called Asamankese. With time, a series of doctrinal differences saw the group split in 1939 and those under Pastor James McKeown, saw great expansion. On August 1, 1962, the new name, The Church of Pentecost was adopted. In the late 80s, some members of the Church of Pentecost in Ghana had become residents in the UK and were worshiping in Elim Pentecostal and other Charismatic Churches. Others were meeting in home Cells for prayers and Bible studies.
The breakthrough came when the late Apostle S. F. Sarfo, the then Chairman of C.O.P. Was flown to London in 1988 for treatment of his illness. He was admitted to St. John’s Wood Hospital in London. The hospital, therefore, became the focal point for meeting other members of C.O.P residents in London including Apostle Opoku Onyinah and Pastor Noble Atsu. Needless to say “ That all things work together for good to those who love God” Romans 8:28.
In March 1988 the group had their first fellowship meeting at Elim Pentecostal Church in Finsbury Park, London. Discussions centered on forming an association as a prelude to starting a Pentecostal Church in the U.K. This became the Pentecostal Association of UK and Eire, “PAUKE” for short. Then in ….. PAUKE became ELICOP; a partner church with the Elim Pentecostal Church in the UK. In 2008 we became a fully fledged CHURCH OF PENTECOST with charitable status.